Monday, July 18, 2011

Bread pudding!

Since December I've been making sourdough bread from my own sourdough culture. I used the guidelines in D.I.Y. Delicious to create the sourdough "starter" (basically flour and water), and followed the recipe for half whole wheat sourdough bread to use my culture to create delicious bread! I've also used my sourdough culture to make sourdough pancakes (recipe also in D.I.Y. Delicious).

I made a savory bread pudding from one of my last loaves. I based the recipe off of a savory bread pudding recipe from Bon Appetit magazine I made last Thanksgiving. The recipe was inspired by a craving for the corn chowder that was served in sourdough bread bowls at my college.



Savory Bread Pudding
A small baguette or loaf of fresh bread (about 4 cups once torn)
3 eggs
2 cups fresh or frozen corn
1 cup heavy cream
A heaping handful of spinach
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 Tablespoon sake or white wine
1 teaspoon Dijon Mustard
3 Tablespoons chopped red onion
1 cup grated cheese (Gruyere and Cheddar work well)

Tear the bread into bite-size pieces. Use a whisk to beat the eggs in a bowl. Whisk in the heavy cream, sake or wine, mustard, and salt. Add the bread pieces to the egg mixture, and let the bread soak for 30 minutes. Butter a 9 inch pie dish (or other medium-sized dish suitable for baking.) Preheat the oven to 400°F. Combine the corn and onion in a bowl. Use a slotted spoon to transfer a third of the bread pieces to the baking dish.  Cover the bread with all of the spinach and half of the cheese. Add half of the corn and onion mixture. Add another layer of bread, followed by the corn and onions, then sprinkle more cheese on top. Add the remaining bread to the dish. Pour the egg mixture over the dish, and sprinkle on the remaining cheese. Cover the dish with foil and bake for 20 minutes. Then, remove the foil and bake for an additional 20 minutes, until the top has browned.

Assembled and ready for the oven!

No comments:

Post a Comment